Thursday, December 15, 2011

Chikka and Cheema share the second day lead at RCGC Cup



Kolkata, December 14, 2011: Bangalore’s S. Chikkarangappa and Chandigarh’s Angad Cheema shared the lead of the second day of RCGC Cup Amateur Golf Championship at The Royal Calcutta Golf Club here on Wednesday. Another Chandigarh lad Abhijit Chadha jumped to the second position in a tie with Bangalore’s Khalin Joshi, the leader of day one. Chadha shot three-over for the total of 147 (72, 75) while Joshi returned with a disappointing six-over for the total of 147 (69, 78).


The leader board displayed many ties as Kapurthala’s Ashbeer Singh Saini and local boy Viraj Madappa shared the fifth place at 148. Delhi’s Gagan Verma who finished third yesterday, slipped to the 30th position after a bad round of 13-over.
The best score of the day of level par shot by Jamshedupur’s karan Taunk and Noida’s Jasjeet Singh who finished 9th and 15th respectively.  

It was a fine day for the No.1 Amateur of the country, Chikka, who hit three bogeys on the 6th, 9th and 17th while birdied the 7th and 12th. After submitting the scorecard, Chikka said, “Practicing wedges yesterday helped me a lot but at the same time I was quite shocked with my round today. When I hit 6 regulations in the front nine, I made one-over and when I hit four regulations in the back nine, I returned with level par. Not just this, the yardages seems to be short at this course but they are actually not. On any other golf course, I usually use 9-Iron to hit 150 yards and I was using 7 or 8 iron at this course for the same yardage. Above and all, I just need to learn from today’s round and go and play the best golf tomorrow.”

Cheema, who won the SAARC team Championship last month, made two birdies on 4th and 15th and four bogeys on 2nd, 6th, 8th and 16th.  Cheema said, “Two-over at this golf course is not a bad score but I won’t take it positively. The tough pin positions didn’t allow me to play at par today. Though my putting was good, I wasn’t hitting that great. I am just going to practice hard today to get the better scores in the next two days.”  

The winner of Maharashtra Open, Udayan Mane was troubled by fever since the practice round which could only allow him to shoot five-over for the total of 156. The 20-year-old Mane had to take a crocin after nine holes to finish his round. 43 out of 83 players have made the cut at 19-over.

Photo caption: Bangalore’s S. Chikkarangappa in action in Kolkata on December 14, 2011

Press Release

No comments:

Post a Comment