Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Willy Warriors win the PTGL 2011 Trophy

Kandy (Sri Lanka), December 4, 2011: West Zone’s Willy Warriors Gang walked away with the trophy of the best gang of India after making 28 points in the gladiator round of Puravankara Touché Golf League 2011 at the Victoria Golf & Country Resort here on Sunday.

Warriors won the tournament by a huge margin of 10 points from Kolkata’s Golf Sarkaars in a three-way match play format. Sarkaars came second with 18 points while Bangalore’s Pin High’s hopes of taking the title couldn’t be fulfilled as they returned with 16.5 points to take the third spot. Delhi’s R11 Ambush missed their team legends like Kapil Dev and Nikhil Chopra as they made only 9.5 points for the fourth position.

Though R11 Ambush didn’t produce a great show but a hole-in-one by Puneet Suri on 12th hole created buzz among all four gangs after the round. Suri who was using Taylormade’s 6 iron and the Titleist 3 pro vx ball said, “I am happy that I am going to die with a hole-in-one on my name. I was born at the left side of 1st fairway of Kashimir Golf Club and since then it was my dream to feel the excitement of an ace. Finally it has come in my 40 years of golfing life and I just want to stay with this feeling forever.”

A mixture of Pune and Bombay golfers got together as a gang for the first time only to play at PTGL and 5 players out of 12 have won all three individual matches to add to a score of 28 points. The captain of the winning gang, Ashish Aggarwal said, “My day started with lot of anger as I couldn't make it to the golf club in time but the delay of 20 minutes allowed me to be straight on the ball rather than pondering about unimportant things. I made 2 points and was happy with that. I always had a feeling after the cavalry round that we are going to rock and I am glad that we are going back to India with a victory and can flaunt back home as the best gang of India until we play next year.”

Kapila Chandrasena, CEO of Sri Lankan Airlines gave away the prizes to the winners and expressed his desire to hold the final of PTGL next year as well.

Photo caption: Willy Warriors team members celebrate the golden moment in Kandy on December 4, 2011.

Press Release

No comments:

Post a Comment