Saturday, December 17, 2011

Angad Cheema clinches RCGC Cup


 Angad Cheema holds RCGC Cup in Kolkata on December 16, 2011

Kolkata, December 16, 2011: A solid ball striking by Chandigarh’s Angad Cheema in the final round took him the title of RCGC Cup Amateur Golf Championship at The Royal Calcutta Golf Club here. The 21-year-old Cheema carded two-over for the total of one-over 289 for a victory by one stroke margin from Bangalore’s S. Chikkarangappa. Chikka shot one-over for the total of two-over 290 to finish as a runner-up while coming from behind, Chandigarh’s Abhijit Chadha ended the day with one-under which was also the best score of the day. Chadha’s four day total of 292 got him the third spot in a tie with Bangalore’s Khalin Joshi who finished fourth after shooting two-over for the day.

Ambala’s Manav Das maintained his fifth position after returning his score card of level par for the total of 296 while one shot behind was the local boy Viraj Madappa for the sixth place at 297.

Cheema, who won his first championship on the IGU’s amateur circuit this year, fired two consecutive birdies on 4th, 5th and a birdie on the 7th while bogeyed the 2nd, 6th, 9th, 10th and 18th after struggling with the tough pin positions. Knowing for his calm attitude off the course, he said, “I was pretty confident from the beginning and I just had a good feeling on the 7th when I hit my second shot to the flag from 190 yards and hit a birdie from 6 feet. My game turned around when I reached the 11th and made a solid par putt after hitting right, left and center which later became challenging. I am happy that I managed with a bogey on the finishing hole and took the title without going into a play-off.”

Currently No. 1 on the IGU’s order of Merit, Chikka finally got a good start as he hit regulations on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and birdied the 4th, 15th and 17th. Though, he made a double bogey on 7th and a bogey on the 8th and 11th, he kept the momentum up till the last hole. Chikka, who used his entire golf bag in the practice round of RCGC Cup after a gap of 15 days, said, “I am quite happy with the way I played in the back nine where I hit one-under. When I made a birdie on 15th, I felt that that there is still a chance of winning and I played every shot very consciously. By the time, I landed on the 18th green for the birdie putt, I started thinking strongly about reading the line and forgot about the speed and I just missed it. Its good that I got the second position which will make me think deeply about a victory in the next week’s tournament.”

Around 85 golfers who participated in the RCGC Cup, will vie for The GoodRicke East India Amateur Golf Championship title next week at The Royal Calcutta Golf Club.

Press Release

No comments:

Post a Comment